Investigation on Pitting Corrosion Rate of AISI 904L Super Austenitic Stainless Steel Weld Joints in NaBr Media
Keywords:Super Austenitic Steel, Welding, Pitting Corrosion, NaBr
Super austenitic stainless steel AISI 904L is the commended material for high corrosion resistance and strength requirements. However when subjected to welding there is a possibility of decrease in corrosion resistance. In the present work, 0.4mm thick AISI 904L steel sheets are square butt welded using pulsed current Plasma Arc welding. Pittingcorrosion. Pitting corrosion test was carried out using linear polarization methodby drawing Tafel plots. Corrosion tests were carried out on weldment consisting both fusion zone and heat affected zone in different normalities of Sodium Bromide (NaBr).
How to cite this article: Sailaja M, Ramji K. Investigation on Pitting Corrosion Rate of AISI 904L Super Austenitic Stainless Steel Weld Joints in NaBr Media. J Adv Res Mfg Mater Sci Met Engr 2019; 6(3&4): 21-28.
2. Nasilowska B, Bogdanowicz Z, Wojucki M. Shot peening effect on 904L welds corrosion resistance. Journal of Constructional Steel Researc 2015; 115: 276-282. https:// www.researchgate.net/publication/282894288_Shot_peening_effect_on_904L_welds_corrosion_resistance.
3. Nage DD, Raja VS. Examination of Crater Crack Formation in Nitrogen-Containing Austenitic StainlessSteel Welds. welding research 2017; 104-112. http:// files.aws.org/wj/supplement/WJ_2007_04_s105.pdf.
4. Ramkumar KD, Dagur AH, Kartha AA et al. Microstructure, mechanical properties and biocorrosion behaviour of dissimilar welds of AISI 904L and UNS S32750, Journal of Manufacturing Processes 2017; 30: 27-40. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/ S1526612517302542.
5. Sathiya P, Aravindan S, Ajith PM et al. Microstructural characteristics on bead on plate welding of AISI 904L super austenitic stainless steel using Gas metal arc welding process. International Journal of Engineering, Science and Technology 2010; 2(6): 189-199. https:// www.ajol.info/index.php/ijest/article/view/63710.
6. Ramkumar KDN, Varma JLN, Chaitanya G et al. Effect of autogeneous GTA welding with and without flux addition on the microstructure and mechanical properties of AISI 904L joints. Materials Science & Engineering 2015; 636: 1-9. https://www.sciencedirect. com/science/article/abs/pii/S0921509315003147.
7. Manavalan P, Ravi S, Kesavan R. Identification of optimized welding conditions for pulsed current gas metal arc welding of AISI 904 super austenitic stainless steel. Applied Mechanics and Materials 2015; 787: 500-504. https://www.scientific.net/AMM.787.500.
8. Ramkumar KD, Choudhary A, Aggarwal S et al. Arivazhagan, Characterization of microstructure and mechanical properties of continuous and pulsed current gas tungsten arc welded super austenitic stainless steel. Materials Research Society 2015; 1-20. https://www.cambridge.org/core/ journals/journal-of-materials-research/article/ characterization-of-microstructure-and-mechanicalproperties-of-continuous-and-pulsed-current-gastungsten-arc-welded-superaustenitic-stainless-steel/ AB7604D07F85CDE09F794B995E9E78CC.
9. Ramkumar DK, Naren SV, Tiwari A et al. Development of pulsed current gas tungsten arc welding technique for dissimilar joints of marine grade alloys. Journal of Manufacturing Processes 2015; 383: 1-13. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/ S1526612515001140.
10. Peter F, Bostjan B, Bostjan P et al. Determination of hot workability and processing maps for AISI 904L stainless steel. Materials and Geo environment 2011; 58: 383-392. http://www.rmz-mg.com/letniki/rmz58/ RMZ58_4.pdf#page=31.
11. Bonollo F, Tiziani A, Tovo T et al. Super austenitic stainless steel: the microstructure and fatigue strength a welded joint. Welding international 2004; 18: 2430. https://www. Tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1533/ wint.2004.3203?journalCode=twld20.
12. Sathiya P, Ajith PM, Soundarajan R et al. Genetic algorithm based optimization of the process parameters for gas metal arc welding of AISI 904L stainless steel. Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology 2013; 27: 2457-2465. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/ s12206-013-0631-8.
13. Prasad KS, Rao CH, Rao DN et al. Optimization of fusion zone grain size, hardness and ultimate tensile strength of pulsed current micro plasma arc welded Inconel 625 sheets using genetic algorithm. International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology (Springer) 2014; 85(8-12): 2287-2295. https://link.springer.com/ article/10.1007/s00170-015-7373-y.
14. Prasad KS, Rao CH, Rao DN. Optimizing Fusion Zone Grain Size and Ultimate Tensile Strength of Pulsed Current Micro Plasma Arc Welded Inconel 625 Alloy Sheets using Hooke & Jeeves Method. International Transaction Journal of Engineering, Management & Applied Sciences & Technologies 2012; 3(1): 87-100. https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Siva_Prasad_ Kondapalli2/publication/266174458_Optimizing_ Fusion_Zone_Grain_Size_and_Ultimate_Tensile_ Strength_of_Pulsed_Current_Micro_Plasma_Arc_ Welded_Inconel_625_Alloy_Sheets_using_Hooke_ Jeeves_Method/links/5553266408ae6943a86d9fa2. pdf.
15. Prasad KS, Rao CS, Rao DN. Effect of pulsed current micro plasma arc welding process parameters on fusion zone grain size and ultimate tensile strength of Inconel 625 sheets. Acta Metallurgica Sinica (English letters) 2012; 25(3): 179-189. http://www.amse.org.cn/CN/ Y2012/V25/I3/179.
16. Silaja M, Ramji L. Multi-objective Optimization of Welding Parameters of Pulsed Current Micro Plasma Arc Welded AISI 904L Super Austenitic Steel. Engineering Science & Technology 2019; 1(1): 1-12. http://ojs. wiserpub.com/index.php/EST/article/view/44.
17. Temporary protection of metals against corrosion, Total, Chapter XVI. http://produkty. Totalpolska.pl/ wiedza/rozdzial%2016.pdf (in Polish). http://produkty. Totalpolska.pl/ wiedza/rozdzial%2016.pdf (in Polish)