Investigating Properties of Hybrid Alumina/ Graphite Aluminium Matrix nano Composites
Keywords:Aluminium Matrix Nano-Compo-Sites (AMNCS), Homogeneous Dispersion, Response Surface Methodology (RSM), Analysis of Variance (ANOVA)
Huge demand of lightweight materials in aerospace, automotive and recreational goods enthuse the manufacturing sectors to further exploit the interesting characteristics i.e., high specific strength to weight ratio, wear resistance and stiffness1 with high thermal conductivity and lower co-efficient of thermal expansion. With this objective the effect of mixing alumina and/or graphite in aluminium 7075 hybrid nanocomposite was studied, w.r.t stirring time variation on mechanical properties (hardness, toughness and ultimate compressive strength) and validated by Optical Microscopy (OM) and Scanning Electron Microscopy (SEM) to characterized AA7075/Al2O3/Gr hybrid composites. The impact of variation of mechanical stirring time followed by fixed ultrasonic time is investigated deploying Response surface methodology/ design of experiments. From the analysis it was observed that hardness, Ultimate compressive strength and toughness of developed nanocomposite generally improved with mechanical stirring combined with ultrasonic homogenisation, with some softness associated in case of graphite nano composited. Optimization results of weight percentage of alumina, graphite and stirring time are reported.
How to cite this article: Singh S, Gupta A, Sharma VS. Investigating Properties of Hybrid Alumina/ Graphite Aluminium Matrix nano Composites. J Adv Res Mfg Mater Sci Met Engr 2019; 6(3&4): 8-20.
2. Thareja, Priyavrat, Akhai, Shalom; Processing Aluminum Fly Ash Composites via Parametric Analysis of Stir Casting. J Adv Res Manu Mat Sci Metall Engi 2016; 3(3&4) 21-28
3. Efzan, Ervina et al. Fabrication Method of Aluminum Matrix Composite (AMCs): A Review, Key Engineering Materials. 2016; 700: 102-110.
4. Thareja Priyavrat, Akhai Shalom Processing Parameters of Powder, Aluminium-Fly Ash P/M Composites. J Adv Res Manu Mat Sci Metall Engi 2017; 4(3&4).
5. Azimi A, Shokuhfar A Nejadseyfi, O. Mechanically Alloyed Al7075 - TiC Nanocomposite: Powder Processing , Consolidation and Mechanical Strength. J. Mater. 2014; 2: 1-5.
6. Hassan AM, Alrashdan A, Hayajneh MT et al. Wear Behavior of Al-Mg-Cu-Based Composites Containing SiC Particles. Tribol Int 2009; 42(8): 1230-1238.
7. Nemati N, Khosroshahi R, Emamy M et al. Investigation of Microstructure, Hardness and Wear Properties of Al-4.5 Wt.% Cu-TiC Nanocomposites Produced by Mechanical Milling. Mater Des 2011; 32(7): 3718-3729.
8. Soltani S, Khosroshahi AR, Mousavian TR et al. Stir Casting Process for Manufacture of Al-SiC Composites. Rare Met 2017; 36(7): 581-590.
9. Srivastava N, Chaudhari GP. Microstructural Evolution and Mechanical Behavior of Ultrasonically Synthesized Al6061-Nano Alumina Composites. Mater Sci Eng A 2018; 724: 199-207.
10. Surappa MK. Aluminium Matrix Composites: Challenges and Opportunities. Sadhana 2003.
11. Kang YC, Chan SLI. Tensile Properties of Nanometric Al2O3particulate-Reinforced Aluminum Matrix
Composites. Mater Chem Phys 2004; 85 (2&3): 438-443.
12. Razavi-Tousi SS, Yazdani-Rad R, Manafi SA. Effect of Volume Fraction and Particle Size of Alumina Reinforcement on Compaction and Densification Behavior of Al-Al2O3nanocomposites. Mater Sci Eng A 2011; 528(3): 1105-1110.
13. Hesabi ZR, Hafizpour HR, Simchi A. An Investigation on the Compressibility of Aluminum/ Nano-Alumina Composite Powder Prepared by Blending and Mechanical Milling. Mater Sci Eng A 2007; 455: 89-98.
14. ROSSO M. Ceramic and Metal Matrix Composites: Routes and Properties. J Mater Process Technol 2006; 175: 364-375.
15. Estrada-Guel I, Carreño-Gallardo C, Mendoza-Ruiz DC et al. Graphite Nanoparticle Dispersion in 7075 Aluminum Alloy by Means of Mechanical Alloying. J Alloys Compd 2009; 483(1&2): 173-177.
16. Rahimian M, Parvin N, Ehsani N et al. Investigation of Particle Size and Amount of Alumina on Microstructure and Mechanical Properties of Al Matrix Composite Made by Powder Metallurgy. Mater Sci Eng A 2010; 527(4&5): 1031-1038.
17. Sheu HH, Lin MH, Jian SY et al. Improve the Mechanical Properties and Wear Resistance of Cr-C Thin Films by Adding Al2O3particles. Surf. Coatings Technol 2018.
18. Chu HS, Liu KS, Yeh JW. An in Situ Composite of Al (Graphite, Al4C3) Produced by Reciprocating Extrusion. Mater Sci Eng A 2000; 277(1&2): 25-32.
19. Ted Guo ML, Tsao CYA. Tribological Behavior of Aluminum/SiC/Nickel-Coated Graphite Hybrid Composites. Mater Sci Eng A 2002; 333(1&2): 134-145.
20. Zhang J, Perez RJ, Lavernia EJ. Effect of SiC and Graphite Particulates on the Damping Behavior of Metal Matrix Composites. Acta Metall Mater 1994; 42(2): 395-409.
21. Rajkumar K, Aravindan S. Mechanical, Electrical and Tribological Properties of Copper-Graphite Composites. In Composite Materials: Processing, Applications, Characterizations; Springer Berlin Heidelberg: Berlin, Heidelberg, 2016; 433-455.
22. Baradeswaran A, Perumal EA. Effect of Graphite on Tribological and Mechanical Properties of AA7075 Composites. Tribol Trans 2015; 58(1) 1-6.
23. Moghadam DA, Omrani E, Menezes PL et al. Mechanical and Tribological Properties of Self-Lubricating Metal Matrix Nanocomposites Reinforced by Carbon Nanotubes (CNTs) and Graphene - A Review. Compos. Part B Eng 2015; 77: 402-420.
24. Eskin DG, Al-Helal K, Tzanakis I. Application of a Plate Sonotrode to Ultrasonic Degassing of Aluminum Melt: Acoustic Measurements and Feasibility Study. J Mater Process Technol 2015; 222: 148-154.
25. Yang W, Li S, Dean K et al. Lightweight Nanocomposite Materials. In Lightweight and Sustainable Materials for Automotive Applications; Routledge 2017; 277-302.
26. García-Rodríguez S, Alba-Baena N, Rudolph NM et al. Dimensional Analysis and Scaling in Mechanical Mixing for Fabrication of Metal Matrix Nanocomposites. J Manuf Process 2012; 14(3): 388-392.
27. Eskin DG. Overview of Ultrasonic Degassing Development. Miner Met Mater Ser 2017; 1437-1443.
28. Zeren A. Effect of the Graphite Content on the Tribological Properties of Hybrid Al/SiC/Gr Composites Processed by Powder Metallurgy. Ind Lubr Tribol 2015; 67(3): 262-268.
29. Chen JK, Huang IS. Thermal Properties of Aluminum Graphite Composites by Powder Metallurgy. Compos Part B Eng 2013; 44(1): 698-703.
30. Thareja P, Mahapatra PB, Sharma DD et al. Metamorphosis in Teaching of ‘Materials’: A Case Study Aligning Manufacturing Requirements. Proceedings of National Conference on Advances in Materials and Manufacturing Technology, 2010. Available at SSRN: https://ssrn.com/abstract=1567511 or http:/ /dx.doi. org/10.2139/ssrn.1567511.
31. Karbalaei AM, Mirzaee O, Baharvandi HR. Fabrication and Study on Mechanical Properties and Fracture Behavior of Nanometric Al2O3 Particle-Reinforced A356 Composites Focusing on the Parameters of Vortex Method. Mater Des 2013.
32. Oh SIl, Lim JY, Kim YC et al. Fabrication of Carbon Nanofiber Reinforced Aluminum Alloy Nanocomposites by a Liquid Process. J Alloys Compd 2012.
33. Kumar GBV, Rao CSP, Selvaraj N et al. Studies on Al6061SiC and Al7075-Al&Lt;Sub&Gt;2&Lt;/ Sub&Gt;O&Lt;Sub&Gt;3&Lt;/ Sub&Gt; Metal Matrix Composites. J Miner Mater Charact Eng 2010; 9(1): 43-55.
34. Maran JP, Manikandan S, Priya B et al. Box-Behnken Design Based Multi-Response Analysis and Optimization of Supercritical Carbon Dioxide Extraction of Bioactive Flavonoid Compounds from Tea (Camellia Sinensis L.) Leaves. J Food Sci Technol 2015; 52(1): 92-104.
35. Bezerra MA, Santelli RE, Oliveira EP et al. Response Surface Methodology (RSM) as a Tool for Optimization in Analytical Chemistry. Talanta 2008; 76(5): 965-977.
36. Kumar S, Balasubramanian V. Developing a Mathematical Model to Evaluate Wear Rate of AA7075/ SiCp Powder Metallurgy Composites. Wear 2008; 264 (11-12): 1026-1034.
37. Deshmanya IB. Development of Mathematical Modelto Predict Micro-Hardness of Al 7075/Al2O3 Composites Produced by Stir-Casting. J Eng Sci Technol Rev 2012; 5(1): 44-50.
38. Kok M. Production and Mechanical Properties of Al 2 O 3 Particle-Reinforced 2024 Aluminium Alloy Composites. 2005; 161: 381-387.
39. Hamid AA, Ghosh PK, Jain SC et al. The Influence of Porosity and Particles Content on Dry Sliding Wear of Cast in Situ Al(Ti)-Al2O3(TiO2) Composite. Wear 2008; 265(1&2): 14-26.
40. Mahdavi S, Akhlaghi F. Effect of SiC Content on the Processing, Compaction Behavior and Properties of Al6061/SiC/Gr Hybrid Composites. J Mater Sci 2011; 46(5): 1502-1511.
41. Leng J, Jiang L, Zhang Q et al. Study of Machinable SiC/ Gr/Al Composites. J Mater Sci 2008; 43(19): 6495-6499. 42. Ramnath VB, Elanchezhian C, Jaivignesh M et al. Evaluation of Mechanical Properties of Aluminium Alloy-Alumina-Boron Carbide Metal Matrix Composites. Mater Des 2014; 58: 332-338.
43. Ezatpour HR, Sajjadi SA, Sabzevar MH et al. Investigation of Microstructure and Mechanical Properties of Al6061Nanocomposite Fabricated by Stir Casting. Mater Des 2014; 55: 921-928.
44. Zhang, Z.; Chen, D. L. Contribution of Orowan Strengthening Effect in Particulate-Reinforced Metal Matrix Nanocomposites. Mater Sci Eng A 2008; 483484: 148-152.
45. Sarikaya M, Güllü A. Multi-Response Optimization of Minimum Quantity Lubrication Parameters Using Taguchi-Based Grey Relational Analysis in Turning of Difficult-to-Cut Alloy Haynes 25. J Clean Prod 2015; 91: 347-357.
46. Giasin K, Ayvar-Soberanis S, Hodzic A. Evaluation of Cryogenic Cooling and Minimum Quantity Lubrication Effects on Machining GLARE Laminates Using Design of Experiments. J Clean Prod 2016: 135: 533-548.